Drive an electric vehicle as part of My Electric Avenue and help us shape a low carbon future – and save you money!
Electric vehicles (EVs) are starting to become more commonplace on our streets, and small pockets, or ‘clusters’, of EV owners are already forming, placing more demand on the local electricity network. Whilst there’s plenty of capacity to deliver power for EV charging across the UK, if the charging requirements are concentrated in small areas and during peak demand, local feeders can become overloaded. With the development of even faster charging times, this problem shows no signs of fading.
EA Technology and Scottish and Southern Energy Power Distribution (SSEPD) are working together with partners under the Ofgem Low Carbon Networks (LCN) Fund to develop an EV charge control system to balance out the charging cycles of EVs at times of network stress.
This new technology will monitor and control the electricity demand from charging electric cars. It is a solution that will save expensive and disruptive work being carried out to upgrade the electricity network and avoid the need for roads to be dug up.
To test the system a trial will need to simulate a future EV network, and to do this, clusters of EVs need to be ‘created’.
We’re looking for ten ‘electric avenues’ – groups, or ‘clusters’, of ten people or more – where each person will drive an electric car for 18 months to trial a new technology.
The trial package offers each person in an eligible group of ten or more people:
– An all-electric Nissan LEAF five-door family hatchback
– At an exclusively subsidised monthly rental for 18 months
How you will benefit:
– Save up to 85% on your monthly fuel bill
– £2-3 will take you 80-100 miles (the cost of one recharge overnight)
– Zero road tax – another chance to save money!
– Zero tailpipe emissions – healthier air for you and your family
– Zero petrol or diesel cost
– Fantastic driving experience – smooth, quiet, no clutch or gears
We will take care of:
– Delivery of your new Nissan LEAF to your home address
– Supply and installation of a charging point for everyone taking part
– Ongoing maintenance of the electric car for the 18 month trial period