The Congestion Charge is an £11.50 daily charge for driving a vehicle within the London Congestion Charging zone, the charge operates between 07:00 and 18:00, Monday to Friday. Currently pure electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles are able to apply for a 100% discount on this charge via the Ultra Low Emission Discount.
Following public consultation the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has announced the Ultra Low Emission Discount (ULED) will be replaced from 8 April 2019 with the new Cleaner Vehicle Discount (CVD) to improve air quality.
- From 8th April 2019 the Ultra Low Emission Discount (ULED) will be replaced by the Cleaner Vehicle Discount (CVD)
- Electric Vehicle (EV) drivers will still qualify for the 100% Congestion Charge discount (you will be required to pay an annual registration fee of £10 to register each vehicle for the discount)
- Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) drivers will qualify for the 100% Congestion Charge discount until 25th October 2021 (£10 annual registration fee also applies)
The CVD will be delivered in 3 phases:
- Starts from 8 April 2019 and runs until 24 October 2021
- To be eligible for the CVD the vehicle must meet the Euro 6 emission standard and emit no more than 75g/km CO2 and have a minimum 20 mile zero emission capable range
- Starts from 25 October 2021 and runs until 24 December 2025
- Only pure electric vehicles will be eligible for the CVD. All other vehicles, regardless of their emissions status, will be required to pay the Congestion Charge
- From 25 December 2025, the CVD will expire for all vehicle types
For more information on the phased implementation of the CVD, please visit the Transport for London website.