Due to replace the T-Charge, London Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) will come into action on 8th April 2019. The aim is to improve the cities air quality and reduce the emissions from polluting vehicles. any vehicles which do not meet the new requirements will be liable for a daily charge to drive within the ULEZ area.
What is it?
- ULEZ is a new congestion charge for vehicles which do not meet the new ultra low emissions standards
- Initially, the first phase will operate in the same areas as the current congestion charge. However, in October 2021 ULEZ will expand to the North and South Circular boundary.
- ULEZ will operate 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week/ 365 days a year
- This will be in addition to the weekday Congestion Charge and the Low Emission Zone (LEZ) charge and will replace the T-Charge.
ULEZ area as of 8th April 2019
2021 ULEZ expansion
Will I have to pay?
Most plug-in vehicles are ULEZ compliant and will not have to pay the charge. If your vehicle uses another type of fuel other than electric, it’s likely you will not meet the ULEZ standards, therefore you will have to pay the charge.
The ULEZ standards are:
- Euro 3 for motorcycles and moped.
- Euro 4 (NOx) for petrol cars, vans and minibuses
- Euro 6 (NOx and PM) for diesel cars, vans and minibuses
- Euro VI (NOx and PM) for lorries, buses and coaches and other specialist heavy vehicles (NOx and PM)
If you are unsure if your vehicle meets the new exhaust emission standards, you can check online using this TFL Vehicle Checker.
If you are looking to avoid the charge by leasing an electric vehicle, take a look at the vehicles we offer which meet the ULEZ requirements.
How much will it cost?
If you are entering the charging zone and your vehicle does not meet the new exhaust emissions standards you will be required to pay a daily fee. Most vehicles will pay a daily charge of £12.50. This includes motorcycles, vans and minibuses. Larger vehicles will be required to pay more.
How to pay
- If you are entering the charging zone on a regular basis you can register for Auto Pay (£10 admin charge per vehicle). If you already have Auto Pay, then you don’t need to do anything
- Pay online at TFL website
- Download the official TfL app
- Pay by phone
If the charge is not paid a penalty will be issues of £160 (with a 50% reduction if paid within 14 days).
Discounts and exemptions
London residents who are registered for the residents’ Congestion Charge discount will get a 100% ULEZ discount until 24 October 2021 to give them more time to change their vehicle to meet the ULEZ standards. Residents will continue to pay the T-Charge, at a discounted rate of 90%, during this ULEZ resident sunset period.
A small number of vehicle types which are currently exempt from the LEZ would also be exempt from the ULEZ charge. These include:
- London-licensed taxis are exempt from ULEZ, as emissions standards have already been introduced for them.
- Agricultural vehicles
- Military vehicles
- Keepers of vehicles registered with a ‘disabled’ or ‘disabled passenger vehicles’ tax class will benefit from a sunset period after the ULEZ starts. They will be exempt from the ULEZ charge until 26 October 2025 as long as their vehicle doesn’t change tax class.